Friday, October 7, 2011

Small Tallk

Have you eve caught yourself listening to the little conversations people around you are having. I don't mean to evesdrop (sp?), really! I just catch myself hearing snippets of the things people talk about. And I can't help but laugh sometimes.
The other day I heard a girl telling a friend of hers that her cat is huge and last time she took it to the vet they needed like 5 people to hold it down to give it a shot. All I could think was, is this really what people talk about with each other? Is this what I sound like when I tell my friends things about my cats? Do I sound like a moron who has nothing else to talk about?
I'm not claiming I'm not a moron,  and I'm not even making fun of this girl who was talking about her super-human cat. It was just funny for me to hear.
The worst is when you hear younger girls (again I'm not claiming I've never done this) talking about textual conversations they've had. I work at a coffee shop and sometimes it's hard to NOT overhear the things people are talking about.
Once I was sitting at work, having finished all the jobs I had to do at the time, and I heard this girl that had to be around the same age as myself (17-20) telling her friend something along these lines:
"So I text him asking him if he still wanted to hang out. And he was like, yeah, but I don't know if I can. And I was like, well I mean if you don't want to hang out just tell me so. And he was like, yeah, I don't know, I guess I want to but I've just been busy."
And I find myself wondering again, is this what I sound like? This story was terrible to listen to, I won't lie. I was bored, I can't even imagine what this girl's friend was feeling like. Maybe she had no feelings because she was probably asleep...
But I just ask, that next time you're out and about around large groups of people, try to pick up snippets of what people are saying. If they're talking about serious things, like a girl's boyfriend cheating on her or something, I don't suggest listening to that once you've found out what it is. But if they're simply making small talk, just listen and see what kinds of obscure, entertaining things people say to one another. You might hear some funny ones here and there.
And if you do hear some funny ones, please let me know 'cause goodness knows we can all use a laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment