Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Epiphany!

We've been talking about consumption, materialism and consumerism in my envrionmental sociology class for the last few weeks.
Many valid points have been made, and I continually hear how North Americans, especially, need to lower their consumption of "stuff". I hear this and think to myself, well I know that that's what we SHOULD do, but I've been brought up in a society that tells me to spend and spend and consume. I like buying "stuff". I LOVE shopping. I'm guilty of using "retail therapy".
But there were two presentations today on simplistic living and promoting a new "American Dream" with the idea of sustainability.
I found myself asking "Why do we need so much money?"
And I know the answers I'm bound to recieve if I ask around with this question.
Security, comfortability, sense of accomplishment and mostly because "I wanna be rich!"
But WHY I ask. Why do we need SO MUCH money? Why do we need to work overtime every week to afford that giant house, three cars, multiple annual vacations, my child's new car for their sweet 16 party?
And I started to see my priorities for my future shifting while I listened to my classmates talk.
Wouldn't it be nice to work only 6 hours a day at a job that I love, making a little less money but still living comfortably, having enough time to spend with family and friends?
Do I really need this type of house?
Or can I survive with something a little more practical?
This is not a small house by any means, but it's also not HUGE. Why would I really need a million dollar mansion? I plan on having several kids (4), but a single family house should still be able to accomodate 6 people comfortably.
And do I really NEED a Mercedes?
Or would the less expensive, fuel efficient Hyundai be the better, more reasonable option?
There are a few things that I wish to be able to afford when I'm finished school and working full time.
- I want to be able to pay off my student debt relatively quickly
- I want to travel on a fairly regular basis
- I want to buy wholesome, preferrably organic food to support environmentally friendly food that is better for everyone
- I want to have money to save for my childrens' education, should they choose to attend post-secondary. If not, the money is free for them to use (responsibly), for example, on a house or for their wedding

Even a $40 000 salary is a relatively good income for one person straight out of university. Match that up with my fututre husband and I'm going to say we'll do alright. We may have a smaller house than the next person, we may have a less flashy car, we may not have every new trend in footwear and apparel, but we will be so happy in our good, stable house, with delicious, wholesome food and multitude of family time.
Not only will this make for a comfortable, stress-free lifestyle, I will also be doing my part for the environment by not consuming everything within 100 miles, like some kind of consumerist tornado.
And that's what these presentations started out as: an environmental message. Fortunately for me, those two presentations changed my whole outlook on happiness and my plans for my future.
Think about this for a bit and I hope you see what I have seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McvCJley78A

No comments:

Post a Comment