Friday, January 13, 2012

The Wonderful World of Disney

I recently stumbled upon an article on my homepage that was naming the best and worst Disney movies. Most of the best ones were expected (Lion King, which is apparently the best grossing Disney classic of all time, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, etc.), as were the worst ones, some of which I had forgotten even existed because they were so terrible I had erased them from my mind (ie. The Haunted Mansion, Around the World in 80 Days). Here's the link if you wanna go through the "official" list yourself: http://inmovies.ca/Galleries/Articles/disney_best_worst.htm
Now, like most kids, I was raised with Disney movies. I do truly love them and don't see how someone couldn't enjoy these movies, at least to a certain extent. I remember particularly a phase that I went through where I watched Aladdin EVERY day. I would always ask my daddy to set up a movie for me and upon asking what movie I wanted to watch, he would respond "Again?!"
I still enjoy having Disney marathons. They are the perfect movies to watch on a rainy day when you have nothing to do; you can power through so many because they're so short, they're entertaining and they're short enough to have a break whenever you need it without pausing the movie. I'm 19, almost 20 now, my brother is 24 and we still have Disney marathons, laughing at the bat in The Great Mouse Detective, quoting The Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland and crying at the end of Bambi.
I have VHS tapes of the really old classics, like Piocchio and Snow White, and they're so old that the colours are blending thogether.
Not only are the stories entertaining, but they have awesome songs! Who doesn't like singing along to Colours of the Wind or I Just Can't Wait to be King? Every now and then I'll have a hankering for Disney music and I'll listen to it for hours, singing my heart out.
Disney is my childhood and I will never be able to express my love of the franchise.
Now to discuss this list the bests and worsts of Disney.
They named the classics like The Lion King, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast as the best, but they also included newer favourites, such as Tangled (One of MY favourites), Findind Nemo, Toy Story (1 and 3) and Up.
However, I wish to discuss a particular "worst". They named Pocahontas as the first worst on the list. I couldn't believe it. I got a playset as a child of Pocahontas dress up stuff and I loved and still do love that movie. I couldn't even find a reason for their naming it as a worst except that the story was "flat".
Besides that flaw though, the list was fairly accurate, I found, but I still wish to leave you with my list of bests.
But first, may all you Disney lovers continue to have the movies touch your heart and your children's and your children's children. Disney will always have a place in my heart and will always remind me of happier, simpler times.
Best Disney Movies:
Alice in Wonderland
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Lion King
Aladdin
The Fox and the Hound (even though I can't watch it because it makes me bawl)
The Littler Mermaid
Sleeping Beaty
Beauty and the Beast
Cinderella
Pocahontas
Wall-E
Finding Nemo
Tangled
The Great Mouse Detective
Toy Story 1 and 3
Peter Pan
101 Dalmations
Hercules

No comments:

Post a Comment